Core Values Exercise
Abundance, Accessibility, Accountability, Accuracy, Achievement, Adventure, Appreciation, Authenticity, Autonomy, Balance, Beauty, Belonging, Boldness, Calm, Caring, Challenge, Clarity, Comfort, Commitment, Communication, Community, Companionship, Compassion, Competency, Connection, Contribution, Cooperation, Courage, Courtesy, Creativity, Curiosity, Decisiveness, Determination, Discipline, Discovery, Drive, Ease of Life, Effectiveness, Efficiency, Empathy, Endurance, Energy, Equality of People, Exploration, Fairness, Family, Flexibility, Forgiveness, Found-Family, Gratitude, Growth, Happiness, Harmony, Honesty, Honour, Hope, Humor, Improvement, Influence, Innovation, Integrity, Intensity, Intimacy, Justice, Kindness, Knowledge, Leadership, Learning, Love, Loyalty, Mastery, Meaning, Mindfulness, Movement, Nurturance, Optimism, Organization, Participation, Passion, Peace, Pleasure, Poise, Popularity, Positivity, Power, Practicality, Preparedness, Prosperity, Quality, Reason, Recognition, Relationships, Reliability, Resilience, Resourcefulness, Respect, Responsibility, Security, Self-Expression, Self-Respect, Seriousness, Service, Simplicity, Skill, Speed, Spirituality, Stability, Status, Stewardship, Style, Success, Sustainability, Systems, Transparency, Tranquility, Trust, Truth, Understanding, Variety, Visibility, Wealth, Wisdom, Working hard
- Which people do you respect most? Why?
- What do you think their top 3 most important values are?
- When you think of behaviour you dislike or find irritating, what 3 values do you think lie behind them?
- When you think of ways people describe you, what do you think are your top 10 perceived values?
- When you think of the ideal version of yourself, what are your top 10 desired values?
- When you think of values you want the next generation to have, what 5 values come to mind as critical?
- What are 3 values you want to work towards representing less in your life?
- What are 3 values you want to work towards representing more in your life?
- What’s one clear action or step you can take towards or away from each value?
- How are you going to review your values and action steps? Would you post them somewhere you’ll see them daily?
This list was put together from a variety of sources online including
- Darren Hardy’s Core Values Assessment through Joel Boggess
- Leader Shape Institute Core Values List through James Clear
- Center for Nonviolent Communication